Thursday, March 22, 2007

Vanity Search

In class Professor Brown has metioned a few times that one of the most common searches done on google.com is a vanity search. This is when you type in your name in the search field and see what comes up... possibly actually you. I decided to do this. I tried a few combinations. First I put in "Andrea Lynn Boyer"and all that came up was someone else's blog wishing someone a happy 1st birthday.. not me :( so I revised my search to just "Andrea Boyer" and there were a lot of matches (747 to be exact). What I found is that apparenly I'm an artist from France! Obviously this is not about me, but it is not surprising since my most of my family is of French decent. I looked in the images that came up under my name and saw all of the artwork that this other Andrea Boyer did. Shes actually really good. All of her work is in black and white, but they're all of extremely odd things, such as legs crossed, shoes, and various naked people. Not really my style. Some of the pictures are so vague/weird that you cannot even make out what they are actually of. Pretty cool though.

Another common Andrea Boyer result were news feeds about a woman in Clay County Florida that was murdered in mid-Janurary 2007. Apparently there have been no leads as to who killed her but there are videos of her entering a Vet Clinic that same night and never leaving. There have been a few suspects brought to court but all of them have pleaded non guilty. So far this murder case is still a mystery. There is even the Andrea Boyer Foundation to help raise money for Andrea's family to pay for the funeral and burial arrangements.

Other than these two results the rest of them are just random links here and there. Most of them are in French or some other language I cannot make out. Once again, I am not surprised that my name is associated with a lot of French webpages since both my first and last name are extremely common in France. This was an interesting project to do and I have honestly never done it before. I never would have thought that there would be so many Andrea Boyer's in this world!

No comments: