Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Comment on a Blog Post...

Over the past few weeks I have been on amazon.com numerous times to try and find all the text books needed for my classes this semester. Currently my inbox is filled with order and shipping notifications from the company, so when I was searching through Slashdot, the blog article with Amazon in its title caught my eye. The article is called Amazon Adjusts Prices After Sales Error. Basically, Amazon made an error with one of their pomotional sales events where DVD's were buy one get one free. Instead of getting one free the total of two DVD's would come up as free or a very low amount, the order would go through and then be shipped as normal. This seems like a great deal to the customer. However, once this problem was found out Amazon began gaining control of the situation in a rather harsh way. They have notified the customers and are currently recharging their credit cards.

Although Amazon deserves to get their money back there is no reason why they should be charging people without authorization. By doing this I feel that they are only making their company look bad and bringing upset to these customers who thought they just got a really really good deal. Being such a large company I feel as though, depending on how many individuals got their DVD's for free, Amazon might have been better off if they had just let everything be. This way, they would be loosing money (probably a lot of money) but they would also be a favored company to those individuals. It can take years to get people to trust your company but it only takes one incident to take all that trust away. Technically it was Amazon's mistake, not the customers' and therefore Amazon should be the ones to pay in the end.

2 comments:

Kathleen Albright said...

I just read your comment and I am surprised Amazon made that mistake. They have been around for years now and mistakes like that seem like they should not have slipped by to the public unnoticed. I agree that Amazon is a huge company and they should have taken the loss of revenue for their mistake. I am sure the customer's that were affected by this will think twice before ordering from Amazon again. This is an unfortunate flaw in online retail which hopefully does not happen often.

Andrea said...

I know right... it really is unfortunate that this happens but I suppose that it is something that you have to deal with when running an online business. Technology is great but it is also the main cause of many problems. I know that if that happened to me and they went and charged my credit card again I would be pissed, however, if I really did want the dvd's I purchsed badly enough I would have paid the correct price for them. In the consumers eye though it looks as though they are getting something for free and then the company decided not to be so nice...