Friday, April 20, 2007

Last tap dance edit, wooo

Ok, so while I was searching the internet for information to add to the tap dance wikipedia article I came across a website where the information on it looked extremely familiar... Then when I went onto the wiki article I realized that it was word for word the same! Here I was thinking that someone did such a thorough job adding information to the article when all they really did was copy and past someone else's work. Not only this, but they did not cite the webpage that they got the information from anywhere on the wiki page. That's just not fair to the person who wrote everything in the first place. So, my edits this time around consisted of me adding two external links to the article, one of them to the National Tap Ensemble, because that is a very informative website with a lot of information about tap dance, and the other link is to the webpage that the entire wiki article is copied from. I figured it would only be fair to give the original writer some credit. I realized that anyone can add anything they want to an article, that is what makes it a "wiki". However, there is still the issue of plagarism, which can be very serious and in this situation since it is literally word for word I really felt it was necessary to cite where the information came from.

In addition to the two external link I also looked up the definition of tap dance in the Encyclopedia Britannica and added that to the introductory section of the article. I did this because I felt that it would be important to have a general definition of the term rather than only having ones made up my random individuals that could potentially be very biased. What I added was this: "The Encyclopedia Britannica definition for tap dance is: A style of American theatrical dance using precise rhythmical patterns of foot movement and audible foot tapping. It is derived from the traditional clog dance of northern England, the jigs and reels of Ireland and Scotland, and the rhythmic foot stamping of African dances. Popular in 19th-century minstrel shows, versions such as "buck-and-wing" (danced vigorously in wooden-soled shoes) and "soft-shoe" (danced smoothly in soft-soled shoes) developed as separate techniques; by 1925 they had merged, and metal taps were attached to shoe heels and toes to produce a more pronounced sound. The dance was also popular in variety shows and early musicals." Nothing major, just a very informative little addition to the article.

After this post I am now officially done with wiki edits on tap dancing. Horray. Even though I love the topic, it does become difficult to come up with new information to add after a while. I still have two more other article to add my two cents to so look for that in the near future!

Hey, did you hear about stiuqxela stiuqxela stiuqxela stiuqxela stiuqxela

No comments: