Monday, April 16, 2007

Sunsilk Wiki Edit

Ok, so instead of editing one of my original wikipedia article choices, I decided to switch over to the article about Sunsilk haircare prodcuts (I hope this is ok!). The reason why I chose this topic was becasue I had to give a speech on Sunsilk in one of my other marketing classes: BUAD471 Advertising Management. Although the purpose of the presentation was to discuss the marketing strategies of your choice product, mine of course being Sunsilk, and to go into depth on the formation of, the values, and the vision of the company and how their advertisements relate. I realize that wikipedia is not always the best source of information for research because anyone can add any information they want, like this class for example. However, for many students, myself included, wikipedia provides a great starting point for more research and can provide great background information on whatever you are searching. Therefor, I can say that when it came time to put my presentation together the first place I looked was wikipedia, and to my surprise, the article was completely lacking. Overall, the article had roungly three sentences and none of them were very good.

My plan for this article is to first add some background information about the sunsilk company and products, then to discuss their previous campaigns run in the past and then to go into depth on their new and current campaigns designed to revamp the company image. Therefor, following this rough outline, my first Sunsilk Wikipedia edit was focused on providing a little background information. Although my contribution is small, it already more than doubled the size of the article! Here is waht I added:

"It was launched in 1954 in the United Kingdom and by 1959 it was available in 18 different countries world-wide. Currently, Sunsilk products are being marketed in over 50 countries throughout Asia, Latin America, The Middle East and North Africa. The Sunsilk brand is intended to demonstrate a perceptive and sympathetic understanding of women, communicate the idea of capturing the “emotional drama” in a girl’s life, and to provide a source of expert beauty care for women."

In addition to this I also added a link to their new webpage for their new campaigns in case someone is to come to the article in search of more information.

The choice to edit this article was an easy one as I already have a collection of information and research done on the topic neatly organized in a powerpoint file on my computer. Over the course of editing this article I will slowly add the information I have that I feel is important for readers coming to the Sunsilk wikipedia article. Even if my edits are not the best they are certainly a hell of a lot better than what was there to start with!

Oh, and I forgot to mention stiuqxela stiuqxela stiuqxela stiuqxela stiuqxela

2 comments:

Jerskine said...

Just wanted to comment and say that I was in the BUAD 471 class that Andrea did her Sunsilk presentation. Her presentation was very informative and interesting. It prompted me to go out and buy the Sunsilk shampoo and conditioner. I loved how they made my hair come out and use it everyday now. So incase anyone is wonering about how good Sunsilk is, I would definately recommend it!

Andrea said...

This is true, Jess was in the class where I gave the presentation on Sunsilk. At first I thought the presentation and topic were stupid but then it turned out that I learned a lot about the brand, without wikipedia. This is why I chose to add the information to wikipedia so other people can easily access the information. And also, just as Jess did, I also ordered some shampoo and conditioner by sunsilk, although initially for the presentation, I now use it on a daily basis.