Monday, April 2, 2007

Tap Dance Wiki Edit

First off, I want to say that I am sorry that I am two days off from writing a post every week. This was not done intentionally. What happened was that I was forced to go on spring break in Florida and party a lot. Therefore, I did not have access to a computer all week and so I could not blog, even though I truly wanted to... I hop the once a week rule can be bent a little just for spring break.

Anyways, moving on. Instead of doing my last Medfield Wiki edit I decided to move on to the tap dancing article. I chose this article because tap dancing is a big part of my life, or at least it was until I came to college. Instead of participating in sports each season in middle and high school, I spent my after-school time in the dance studio practicing for various shows and competitions my team was competing in. This love for dancing started when I was 3 and my mother enrolled me in my first dance class to give herself some free time away from me. As the years went on I realized that this was something I loved, tap especially. By the time I was in middle school I was participating in tap competitions around the country, and I was pretty good too. One time my team got first place in an a capella tap competition where we had to rely on eachother for rhythm. I practiced every day after school just as any athlete would. Once I got to the University of Delaware I tried to keep up with training but unfortunately the stress of college got to me. I take the occasional class here at UD when I have time, and I have taught a few classes as well. Dancing was much too big a part of my life to give it up all together, but I'll have to wait until after school to take it up again.

So that's my history with tap dancing. Although I am no expert on the topic I do feel as though I know enough about it to contribute to the wikipedia article about tap. In my first edit I added a few sentences right to the beginning about National Tap Dance Day. I remember celebrating this day each year as a child with my tap company down the streets of Lexington, MA. The information I added is, "National Tap Dance Day is celebrated on May 25th of each year and was officially signed into law by President George Bush on November 7, 1989. The day of May 25th was chosen because it is the birthday of the famous tapper, Bill "Bojangles" Robinson."

I honestly do not know how people enthusiastic enough about tap dancing to write a wikipedia article about it would not know about National Tap Dance Day. Therefore, I felt as though it was completely necessary for me to add it into the article, even though I only touch on the topic. Perhaps I will dive deeper into the history behind the day in a later post...

No comments: