Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Dunkin' Donuts, last wikipedia edit... ever?

Horray! this is the last edit that I need to to do for Dunkin' Donuts as well as for buad477!! I think that it is safe to say that this may also be my last wiki edit ever. This is because I have found that in order to edit a page it is necessary to have a great deal of knowledge on a topic to add meaningful information that the community will approve of. I just dont like the pressure of finding things to write about...

That said, I went onto the Dunkin Donuts wikipedia article the other day and found that the community did not approve of what I wrote for my last edit. Apparently it was worded too much like and advertisement and that was not ok. I thought you could write whatever you wanted but apparently not. My bad. Soooo for this edit I was going to go back and change what I had previously written to make it sound objective rather than in favor of Dunkin' Donuts. However, I had to wait a week since my last edit (because those are the class rules) and when I logged on today I found that someone else had already gone in and changed what I wrote. Surprisingly they did not just delete it, rather they too the time to make it unbiased. Im glad someone did not delete my work, but they totally took my wiki edit idea!! ugh. I had to find something else to write and here is what I came up with:

In the "featured products" section (the one I created, yay) I added the sentence "Dunkin' Donuts currently has 52 varieties of donuts". I found this fact on the DD website and I thought that it was just a little fact that was somewhat interesting to know. Also, I just wanted to add more to the section I made, bragging rights I guess...

Next, in the trivia section the article talks about how there is a Dunkin Donuts Center in Providence, Rhode Island. Since I live in Massachusetts I've actually been to the DD Center and it's really nice. However, in this little blurb of the center nowhere does it mention the actual website to get information on concerts and what not at the center. Therefore, I added this sentence, "The website for the Dunkin' Donuts Center can be found here" followed with a link to the website. I thought that this would be convenient.

Lastly, I noticed that throughout the wiki article and on all the webpages I found when searching for Dunkin' Donuts there was alwasy mentionings of their franchise opportunities and I started to wonder just how many DD's there were. I looked up this information, found it and put it in the history section of the wiki article (I figured this was the best place to put it since it could be considered history eventually...). The sentence I added was this: "Currently, there are 5,505 Dunkin' Donuts franchises in the United States, 79 in Canada, and 1,856 throughout the rest of the world." As of right now this information is correct, however, I am willing to bet that this will change within the next few weeks since a company as large as Dunkin' Donuts seems to always be growing.

Well there it is, my last wikipedia edit for this article, for this class, forever! I understand the reason why we did this exercise and it really did help me in understanding the process and importance of wikis, however, the overall editing process was somewhat stressful. Unless you are a highly knowledgeable individual on a particular topic it is difficult to find information that is incorrect and also to find information that is correct and missing. But that's not importnat anymore as this project is now completed and over. Stay tuned for my summary of the evolution of the Dunkin' Donuts wikipedia article coming up possibly tomorrow.


Now that the stiuqxela challenge is over I dont have anything to put here anymore :(

No comments: