Friday, May 11, 2007

Evolution of the Sunsilk Wikipedia article


Although I did not create the wikipedia article on Sunsilk, I certailing was the main contributor of content to the article. I came up with the idea to edit this article from doing a project in another marketing class where me and a partner gave a presentation on the Sunsilk brand and their marketing strategies. I realize that wikipedia is not the most accurate source, but it definitely helps, and when I saw that there was basically no information on Sunsilk I saw it as an opportunity as an article to edit for this class.

In my first edit to the article I provided a little background information about the brand including when it was lauched and where. Although the article has only been around since January 2007, this little paragraph of information that I added more than doubled the size of the article.

Following my ouline, my second article edit gave a detailed explaination of Sunsilk's old marketing strategy. I created a heading section just for this additional information and went to town. I used the same method for my third and final edit to this article by adding another heading titled "new campaign" where I went into great detail of Sunsilk's new "get hairapy" campaign that they are currently running. I talked about the target demographs, the types of advertising used and even talked about features of their campaign website.

I definitely dominated this topic, but I did so by adding relevant, important information about Sunsilk that I feel anyone can benefit from reading about (as long as they are looking for information specifically about Sunsilk of course!). ALl the information I added was reasearched and then put into my own words, unless it is a company slogan or campaign motto. Through the duration of my edits I was the only one who added content of any type to the page and only after my final edit did someone else come in and put their own touch on the topic. And, even when someone else did come in and make edits, all they did was correct mys pelling errors and make it a little more gramatically correct. I think I can live with this! If anything I am embarassed that I made spelling errors for the world to see! Overall I really enjoyed editing this article and I definitely feel as though my edits will be well recieved by the general wikipedia community. Only time will tell through more edits how my information will be taken.

No comments: