Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Trust is at the Core of New Web Marketing

Its time for my last posting on our required blog readings, how sad. As I was going through all of the articles posed two caught my eye, one is Trust article I will be focusing on and the other is a tiny little blog from my keyword search... here goes:

The ClickZ article that I found is titled "Trust is at the Core of New Web Marketing" and basically what it is about is how the world of search marketing, and Web marketing in general, is becoming more and more like old-fashioned marketing. Originally, search marketers would buy links and create massively optimized webpages that naive searchers would access. However, now everything is changing. While both ends are changing (the searchers and the algorithms), algorithms can only go so far. People on the other hand are getting really smart and link building is the new way to gain attention and value on the internet, webmasters are getting more and more savvy about the importance of outbound links...

In online communities such as Digg gaining "google juice" is all about joining the community. You contribute to it, especially with material that is primarily non-promotional. You develop relationships with many users, including top users. By building this trust among the community you become a respected writer and your page goes up in rankings, and vice versa if people in the community think you and your webpage is a bunch of crap, you will be shuned and taken out. People at Digg are intollerant and do not like to be gammed. Essentially, in the world of Digg and other online search communities, you are building a personal brand, an image, and you are building relationships.

Basically I believe this is a huge step in the world of online search. Now, it is no longer important how much money one company spent over another to buy search terms or created a webpage with key terms embedded in its html code. The ranking of each site in a community such as Digg relies solely on how people respond to it. If it sucks or if it's a scam, it goes to the bottom, but if it offers high quality content up it goes in the rankings. This is huge. I know that often times when I search on google the first few pages of links are all ridiculous, irrelevant results that someone made to scam people into clicking, and this does not even apply only to the orgainic results. The sponsored links are often times the ones that seem the most relevant for your search, and for good reason... people spent a lot of time and money to make them look that way. In the world of trust this does not happen. Just like in traditional marketing, webmasters must now prove themselves trustworthy on the internet and build up a brand and an imamge to gain respect from the community. Overall, I love google, but sometimes you just cannot trust the websites that are out there and it is difficult to determine which sites are scams. This is why I feel that this article is right on about the value of Digg and similar services. On the web everyone is going to try to promote themselves, but there is no better opinion out there than that of an unbiased internet searcher/reader such as yourself. Because they have no affiliation with a website in question, they have no reason to lie and make its rankings go up, and that is how trust becomes one of the most important qualities in being a successful web marketer in todays world.

I mentioned that there was a second article that caught my eye, it came from my keyword search on JP Morgan, where I will be interning this summer. The blog post that came up stated that JP Morgan would be opening a new branch and will be hiring in the Boston area. This was huge for me because I am from right outside of Boston and have been thinking about moving back there after school. My fear was that if I liked JP Morgan so much that I wanted to stay with them I would have to remain in the DE area or perhaps one of their other locations, none of which were in Boston. Now this is no longer true! The purpose of me writing about this is just to show that I would not have known about their expansion into Boston if it was not for my Bloglines keyword search.

also, stiuqxela stiuqxela stiuqxela stiuqxela stiuqxela stiuqxela

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.