Thursday, May 17, 2007

Evolution of the Dunkin' Donuts wikipedia article


Alright, so originally I had chosen 4 article to edit in class and in the end I only stayed with one of those topics and chose 3 all new ones. Dunkin' Donuts was one of the new ones. When I first started editing the Dunkin' Donuts wikipedia article I thought it would be easy to come upwith information since there are so many products DD creates... there had to be something missing! Boy was I wrong...

In my first edit I decided to update the company information on the right of the page. I added information about the headquarter location, updated information about the number of customers served each day in how many locations, and finally I noticed that the sales revenue figure listed was completed oudated. I fixed that right up. These were minor edits but overall they are important to have on the article because I feel that this might be the type of information someone comes to the wiki article to find.

A week later I got a great idea to create a new section of the article titled "featured products". It was a great idea in theory, but the wikipedia community did not take well to my second edit. In this section I created a bulleted list of all the coffee products DD offers. What I thought was great detailed information about the products the community thought was a sales pitch and rebelled. Yes, I got the information off of the DD webpage which made it slightly biased but I was under the impression that I could write whatever I wanted on the article, thats the point of a wiki! Wrong, upon checking the article a few days later I went to the DD article and found a message asking the community to fix what I had written. Also I got a message in my talk that says, "Descriptions of DD's products in Dunkin Donuts have an advertising tone and have been tagged as such. These need to be presented in a more neutral POV." How rude! Basically I was scared and I hated wikipedia at that moment. I didnt want to sign back in and have people watch wat I edit, I felt shunned from the wikipedia community!

Ok this is an exaggeration but I was definitely upset. I would have edited the section immediately, but I had to wait a week to make it count for class. A week passed and I went back to the article to find that someone else already edited my work. I was mad, but they did a great job. Therefore, I had to come up with a new third edit to the article. Although I did not get to edit my work, I did add one more piece of information to the "featured products" section. I wrote that DD currently has 52 varieties of donuts, thats a lot of donuts! Also, in the trivia section I added a link to the Dunkin' Donuts Center in Providence Rhode Island because although the article talked a great deal about the center they did not provide a link to the cite. Lastly, I added information about DD franchises in the history section that listed off the number of franchise locations in the US, Canada, and around the world.

Overall, this article caused me the most amount of problems with the wikipedia community. Their immediate reation to what I wrote shows that there are some people out there that take their wiki very seriously, which is great, but it definitely scared me out of wanting to edit articles ever again. However, even though they showed they did not approve of what I wrote, no one deleted my work, all they did was go in and make it more objective, which I appreciated. This was definitely my most interesting article to edit in that I truly got to see the inner workings and passion some people have for keeping Wikipedia up to date and current. Maybe next time I edit an article I wont sign in so people cannot track my work though...

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Helloooo Andrea!
OK so I just wanted to drop a little comment to say that I just had a nice large Dunkin' Donuts Iced coffee. And it was GOOOOD times..I was badly in need of some caffeine (as I am sure we all are during finals week). My Dad gave me a gift card he wasn't using which is awesome because as we all know, money is running short at this point in the semester and the need for a jolt is increasing...
But let me tell you, Dunkin' Donuts was happenin' - so crowded with studiers and other people in need of a pick-me-up like myself.
Editing the Dunkin' article was a cool idea, you did an awesome job.
Also, in case I don't comment again (which I am sure I will though) - Have a great summer! I wish I would have seen you this weekend, but I'm sure I'll talk to you soon! =)

Andrea said...

Trust me, I too am a huge Dunkin' Donuts fan and I dont even really like coffee! Its the different flavors and options they have thatI love so much, I just can't say no to a caramel iced latte. Actually, it was this craving that prompted me to choose this article to edit. I figured the article would be extremelylong and packed with information since so many people love their DD's but to my pleasant surprise there wasnt that much written about the company. This made editing this article a great choice and and easy edit!

also, i wish i was able to see you all this weekend too, but it was my roomates bday as well. dont worry though, we have all next year!!

sanskritg said...

Nothing on where the name "Dunkin" originated?