Friday, May 11, 2007

Evolution of Medfield Wikipedia article



Overall, this was a fairly easy article to edit since I knew quite a bit about Medfield,MA because this is where I am from. As most articles about locations are, this one was already very detailed and thorough which made it necessary for me to really think about what was important about the town. My first edit was an addition to points of interest and is a critical piece of information that I was surprised to find was missing from the article.

Although no one deleted any of my content and only edited the format of the external liks I provided, I did go ahead and delete someone else's addition in my second edit. The reason I did this was the information they added was ridiculous and stated that Uber Jason was a notable resident in the town. In this same post I also took out some links in the page where people can link a word mentioned to another wikipedia article. I found a link to the word "books" which was just silly since I think most people reading this know what books are and do not need an distracting link to take away from the information in the article.

On what was supposed to be my big edit to the article I messed up and did the edits within a week of my previous edits. So stupid. Regardless, the extra edits I did make were excellent if I do say so myself. In this edit I added a bunch of information to the article in three different sections. The topics I added were the towns that Medfield bordered, I added some information to the history to make it a little more factual and significant, and then finally I added a sentence or two on Medfield State Hospital in the trivia section.

Finally, in my last edit I added information about in the education section of the article. What I added was the address of each of the different schools in the town. I blogged about this but going back to the wiki article I just realized that I did not sign in to make this edit. Once again, I messed up. I cannot correct it now, but the edit that is mine is the one titled "02:08, 9 April 2007 64.80.192.54 (Talk) (→Education)". Sorry about that.

Overall, even though this is a very active article for being edited, no one deleted or changed any of the information I added (except for the format of the links). I am very surprised by this and I am surprised at my self for coming up with enough quality information to add to this article that would be accepted by the general public. Also, in editing this article, I noticed that there was another individual who was editing the page with a user name of kylejtod who I am almost 100% sure is a guy that I graduated with. Perhaps he is doing the same project, or maybe he is just a passionate wikipedia editor...

No comments: